Thursday, January 9, 2014

Estes SR-71 Blackbird Build Part 8, Bottom Shroud Forming

Skill Level 2? No way Estes!!! 
The instructions have you forming the heavy card stock curves using your fingertips. I don't see how this could be done. I tried!
The card stock is thick and under some pressure when pulling in and forming the curved sides.

I went back to an old standby of steaming.
Boil some water and hold 1/2 of the shroud in the steam. You could feel the card stock easing up enough that I could almost get the edges even.

Notice I have a 1/2" diameter dowel to help form the curve evenly.
The dowel provides even pressure, more even that you could ever get with your fingertips.


Sneak some white glue under the shroud on the inner wing 7/8" in from the edge. Smooth out and remove excess glue with a dowel.
In this instance less glue is probably better than a lot of glue.

I used the 1/2" dowel to apply even pressure and push the shroud down onto the inner wing.
Try to get the shroud edge (at bottom) even with the inner wing edge.
Good Luck with that!

Here's the form from the back.
TIP: In addition to the nose cone being in place, I'd also recommend sliding a 24mm casing in the rear for support. The BT-50 tube is easy to squeeze out of round when pressing on the shroud.

No comments:

Post a Comment