Saturday, July 19, 2014

3D Printed V2 on TRF

MrBill2u Posted this on TRF.
Now 3D printing gets very interesting - 

"There is a member of these forums by the name of Raygun who has a shop set up at Shapeways for 3D printed rocket parts. This is a tiny build thread for his BT-55 V2.
Check out the V2 fin can at the Shapeways website HERE
All the available rocket parts: HERE 
Things get interesting on Page 2

Here is a shot of the nosecone and fin can together. I shouldn't have any difficulty coming in under the 3 oz limit of an A engine with weights like this.


The build itself was 10 minutes. I tied the shock chord in a loop, wrapped it around the motor mount, slipped the centering ring on it and tacked it down with CA. I also tacked the nose cone pin with CA on either side. I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and used it to secure the centering ring and then applied some to the tail cone aft section and tail cone built in centering ring. I inserted the motor mount and left just enough protruding from the back to run a small bead of epoxy around it. I then applied epoxy to the shoulder of the fin can and the inside of the air frame and slid it together. If I had 30 minute epoxy on hand I would have taken some pictures of the build, but the 5 minute clock did not allow for photography. 

Here is the completed rocket coming in just short of 12". I should get a chance to at least get it filled and primed this weekend."


The 3D printed nose cone and fin can are BT-55 based.
This makes this V2 the same size as the old Estes kit.

I have a feeling a few new rocket part companies will be springing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment