Thursday, July 24, 2014

Aleene's Tacky Glue Online Chat

Trying to find information about a better white glue, I did an email chat with a representative from Aleene's Tacky Glue:


You are now chatting with 'Rebecca'
You: Hi Rebecca!
You: My name is Chris
Rebecca: Hello, how may I help you?

You: I was using Elmer's white glue on my model rockets. They came out with a new formula and an engine mount can "freeze" up in the wrong positions.
You: Do you make a glue that is similar to the older Elmer's formula? Something that allows a slide of parts before it can possibly lock up?
Rebecca: Unfortunately, I am not sure of the formula for Elmer's, (since they are our competitor)- our Original Tacky Glue is a great craft glue that will allow some re-positioning prior to setting. This glue takes about 30 minutes to set.

You: Elmer's changed to a "New Stronger Formula" that seems watered down. Many model rocket modelers have problems with it, especially with engine mounts and couplers (joining tubes together with a "sleeve")
You: Do you have a formula that is "slippery"?
Rebecca: Generally all of our glues are "tacky"- so they are not that slippery
You: Okay, thanks for your time. It's just a pain to mix up epoxy!

Well, that got me nowhere!
I don't think Rebecca realizes what engine mount or couplers are. She probably gives out advice on how to glue on glitter.

My next glue questions will go to Elmer's!

4 comments:

  1. I've had a bottle of Aleene's sitting around for a couple years and after reading your remarks about Harry Stine I decided to try it. To my surprise, it worked very well. I was able to install a motor mount with enough time to fine adjust its position. I still prefer the speed of Elmer's on fins, but from now on I am using Aleene's on all mounts and couplers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used the Aleene's on an engine mount or coupler yet.
    I've still got some old formula Elmer's for a while. But sooner or later I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aleene's Tacky Glue is all I use for installing motor mounts and tube couplers.

    The non-grabbing property was a pleasant surprise; I originally decided to give it a try to see whether its lower shrinkage while drying will not cause that "pucker ring" on the outside of the body tube that white and especially yellow glues tend to produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      After running out of old Elmer's, I just used the new thinner formula on an engine mount for the first time. I could feel the difference sliding it into position. I could see where it could grab!
      I'll probably be switching over to Aleene's or epoxy for engine mounts and couplers.

      Delete