Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fliskits MACME Shrew Build, Part 11, First Try Test Nose Cone

To make a practice cone some 24 lb. paper was taped beneath the kit supplied thicker stock.
By cutting through the single kit cone pattern I'll also cut a second practice cone on the paper underneath. I'll form the copy cone first to test the fit.

The glue tab seemed very narrow, I cut mine wider.

The practice cone was formed and the tab area closed with a glue stick.

On the left you can barely see angle of the the interior nose base through the thin paper.
Just like on the base shroud ring, an angle was sanded onto the edge to better fit the nose cone sides.
The open side of the ring centers over the seam.
This is still a dry fit, no glue or clay yet. I was more concerned about the next picture.


Check the inset picture to see how high the #5 ring ended up. This is my fault, I probably sanded the segment angles too much to get a better joint fit.
The angle of the nose cone lip does cover it all up, though.

I'm still going to carefully remove the #5 ring, slide it down slightly and trim the interior BT-2.5 tube flush with the top of the ring.
(I know, it's unnecessary. But I like a good fit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment