Friday, April 15, 2016

Estes Hi-Flier XL, #3226 Build, Part 16, Red Paint



The rocket is to be spray painted red and black, the decals add the third color trim.

I could have sprayed the model (and fins) an overall red but simply sprayed the tube and over the fillet areas. The black should easily cover the white and red paint after masking off the red.

Always spray light colors first, darkest last.



When a "blend' is done like this, the over spray can feel rough.

Wet sand (damp sand) the rough areas so the black will go on smoothly.

4 comments:

  1. I lost my Hi Flier months ago, and I've been considering building the XL version for a while.

    Actually, I think I have the right nose cone, and the BT-60s, so I may just clone it. But there's something I like about opening a kit, with all the parts right there.

    Enjoying the build, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel,
      I was going to build the smaller version too, but knew I'd lose it! I really like the finished looks of this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying this build, Chris.
    You're doing a Great Job on this Blog, too!
    If people'd follow along, using your crafting techniques, they'd be Head & Shoulders above the crowd!
    Clean Work, exemplary of a Studied Craftsman!
    And I always appreciate the Low-Toxicity of Elmer's CWF in the process of finishing a plasticky-smooth model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Overeasy123,
      One of the reasons I use the Elmers CWF is it doesn't stink like sanding sealer or balsa fillercoat. It's a LOT cheaper. But, you should be careful about breathing in the sanding dust. There are a lot of microscopic things floating around when you are dry sanding the CWF.

      Delete