Friday, April 1, 2016

Estes Hi-Flier XL, #3226 Build, Part 2, Engine Mount


I cut off the finger tab extension.
I hate these things, especially when they extend beyond the trailing ends of the fins. These fins don't go beyond the end of the main air frame tube.

I'm building two Hi-Flier XLs at the same time.
On the left is the engine hook tab before, on the right after removing the finger tab.
I score the bend with wire cutters then bend the finger tab back and forth until it breaks off.


The engine hook is flipped over so the sharper (top) bent end is now at the bottom of the engine mount tube.



The instructions show the upper centering ring glued over or just to the right of the engine hook top bend.
TIP: I glue the upper ring about 1/8" down from the top bend of the hook.
The mount is stronger with a bit more of the hook end locked under the ring.

The lower ring is spaced 1" from the bottom of the engine mount tube.
Here I'm using my ruler as a depth gauge. I'll go all around the ring to make sure the ring is straight on the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment