Monday, April 25, 2016

Launch, Schoolyard, April 24, 2016

I haven't launched at the schoolyard for a few months. No real reason except I've been staying up late. Hitting the snooze button was just easier than a 7:00 a.m. launch time.
Today was all A engines.




An old reliable standby, the Hot Rod Rockets BELL BOTTOM flew first. For it's 21st flight, the A3-4t engine got a respectable altitude for the small field.
Nearing the 300' apogee there was a little wiggle as it slowed down, something to expect with a conical stability rocket.
At ejection the metallic streamer attachment string broke. Both the model and streamer fell separately with no damage.


The Odd'l Rockets prototype F-17 FIGHTER FLEET had a low powered A8-3 test flight.
The first run of decals are on now. Very stable with a slow turn during boost.
The A engine probably got to 250'. Ejection blew the 12" Odd'l parachute for a smooth descent and no damages on pickup.


My (Centuri) Estes FLUTTER-BY had a second flight with an A8-3.
Boost was straight to 250'. (The nose cone was glued in this time.)
At ejection both sections blew far apart. The tail section fell flat, almost looking like it was gliding. The upper half nosed in and fell slowly. I have to wonder if the clay nose weight is needed, probably for C engines. I wouldn't fly this one with anything over a B anyway. No "fluttering", whatever that means.
My second recovery separation was with my Quest VIPER. A loud boost Quest A6-4 took it to 300'. At ejection I was surprised to see only the nose cone under the 12" parachute.
The inset picture shows the charred break of the round Quest shock cord. This was the 18th flight for the Viper.
Here's the first launch of a new build. This has always been a favorite design, based on the OOP Thrustline Arapahoe.
This is the prototype KOKPELLI, downscaled to a BT-55 and 18mm power.
Today was an easy Estes A8-3, with an estimated altitude of 200'. the 12" Odd'l parachute brought it in with no damage. More B and C flights to come.

Five up, five down. Two models need the shock cords replaced, both an easy fix. Both models needing repairs were right around the 20 flight mark. To be safe, maybe I should double check or replace all my rocket shock cords right around their 15th  flights.

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the F-17 go on sale. Count me in for a few. Reminds me of the F-16XL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank! I still have some tweaks and more test flying to do.

      Delete
  2. F17 looks great. Is the Kokopelli intended to be an Odd'l kit as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      The Kokopelli might be a kit as well. I have to track down the designer to get permission. It's really a slick looking model. After I finish up the Aerotech instructions, next up is the improved Odd'l Break-Away.

      Delete
    2. You know I am waiting with money in hand for the improved Break-Away.

      Delete
  3. F-17 looks awesome! Hope it makes it into my ever growing build pile. Along with the Kokopelli - if you didn't already know, kokopellis are performance enhancing!
    http://trailrunnernation.com

    ReplyDelete