Saturday, April 23, 2016

Opinions On Someone Else's Work

I was on Facebook yesterday.
Someone built a Mercury Atlas. It was a scratch build, I don't think any commercially available tubing was used.
Somebody responded saying that the transition was wrong.

WHO CARES!

Why not give credit to the builder that went out of his way to build and post a sport scale Mercury Atlas build! That's a very involved project.
Until that critic can build a scratch Mercury Atlas, he shouldn't comment on somebody's work. Hell, he shouldn't criticize anybody's work.

If I didn't receive some positive feedback growing up, I never would have pursued any hobbies - rocketry included.
Again, kudos and congrats on your Mercury Atlas build!

6 comments:

  1. I saw that and, while the transition was not correct, the build was way better than I could ever do. Kudos to him for the great model he built. My scratch building is limited to 4FNC now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only question would be on the nature and context of the critical comment - if a critic is being positive, making a suggestion from experience, and trying to be genuinely helpful that's what "community" is all about. If they're just being a snarky PITA scoring "gotcha" points then they deserve a thorough roasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      It sure didn't sound like a positive comment. Not helpful, just blunt.

      Delete
  3. [sigh] darn those "rivet counters".... [shrug]

    Always fun to throw these in their direction and watch them rant about how "wrong" these are as NOBODCY will ever paint up their aircraft like this.
    http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/THE_iDOLM@STER

    ... and then you toss an article like this at them:
    http://kotaku.com/5951730/japans-take-on-military-pin-ups-seemdifferent
    and watch them squirm uncomfortably as they try to come to terms with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I wholeheartedly agree. After working on my own MA now I know how difficult it can be: Finding or making the specialty tube, shaping numerous detail parts from balsa since the vacu-form parts are no longer available, etc. I contacted Estes cust. svc. looking for the 3.42 " tube, they didn't have it for sale, although they use it in their new LJII. BTW, I was informed that I might want to wait till later this year rather than scratch building a MA. Perhaps a possible re-release is in the works? BAR Geezer

    ReplyDelete