Sunday, April 17, 2016

Estes Hi-Flier XL, #3226 Build, Part 18, Second Build Mask - OOPS!

The first HiFlier XL paint mask went well. The tape pulled off clean and left a sharp mask line at the root edges.

My last can of Rusto 2X Gloss Black was running low and I was due to replace the spray cap button. I pulled the old cap, it was starting to spray unevenly.
A new nozzle was set on the can, I knew I had enough left to spray the fins on the second model.

After a few air-shots to be sure the new nozzle was okay, I aimed for the fins.
The nozzle cap got stuck in the down position! While I was trying to react I held the spray in one spot a little too long. That area developed an uneven surface and a drip!



After the paint was fully dry it was taken down with some old 220 grit.
400 grit followed until I couldn't see or feel the raised drip.

I'll have to re-mask, hit it with primer/filler and sand smooth.
Then a final shot with a new can of gloss black.

2 comments:

  1. Good job fixing the paint. I am so tired of having to fix paint issues from Rustoleum, but there is nothing else really out there. My latest project went well with Rusto blue until it started splattering on my rocket. Again have to wait to dry then sand and spray again. I wish Rusto would go back to the old caps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      i agree, there is not much else out there, paint wise. The Rusto 2X has a great sheen when you do your last passes a little heavier. I have the spattering happen most with the gloss white. Sometimes the red and black will drop a hard blob or two. I've gotten pretty good at spot sanding and polishing those.

      Delete