Sunday, April 10, 2016

NEFAR Launch, Bunnell, FL, April 9, 2016

A two day NEFAR Half-Blast event!
Two different banks of launchers were set up, the East range for LPR, the away West range for MPR and HPR. This is an efficient system for what could be very busy days. I haven't flown for over a month, I prepped quite a few.
Warm but not hot. The wind was up, many models used streamers and spill holed chutes.



My Estes QUINSTAR proved again strong enough to hold up to a D12-3.
Fast spin up, turn over and ejection with a slower spin on the way down. 200' estimated altitude.








Here's a Odd'l Rockets prototype based on the old Centuri Fighter Fleet series. To prevent any copyright flack I'm calling it the F-17. Just white paint, no decals yet.
Stable and flew higher than expected with an Estes B6-4 to an estimated 350 feet.








A personal favorite, the upcoming Mercury Engineering (BMS) 3" SCHOOL ROCKET launched with an Estes E9-4.
Slow boost on a long burning E9 to an estimated 650'.
The 18" Odd'l parachute brought it in for a long recovery walk.









The AVI NIKE TOMAHAWK had it's second flight this time with an Estes C6-5. Estimated altitude was near 650'.
Textbook flight and ejection of the 12" chute. Another long walk to pick it up.






The engine mount was half out when I picked it up!
This model was built for a 24mm and 18mm with the 20/50 adapter.
Look close at the lower 20/50 centering ring. The ejection charge was strong and the lower ring split around the lamination.
A little glue and simple repair.





I almost don't like altimeters, thinking my flights are higher than the altimeter reading.
With two Estes C6-5 engines, the Quest MAGNUM reached 680 feet! Whoo-hoo!







Lonnie Buchanon rode with me to NEFAR today.
His Clusterbuck rocket can be launched with one, two, three, four or five engines. Today he loaded FIVE, a D12 surrounded by four C6-5 engines.

This one was flown from the MPR launchers.
Fast, loud, arrow straight with a 24" parachute at ejection. Lonnie had one of the longest recovery walks of the day.






Last flight for me was the Estes PATRIOT with a C6-5.
Again with the Estes Altimeter it only read 385'. (Huh?)
Still, a good flight and no damage.

Six flights, all recovered with no damage. A great day.

12 comments:

  1. I promise you will have at least one sale if you bring the F-17 to market. I fondly remember building the Centuri F-16 as a kid - it was the pride of my fleet back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on the canopy tonight, for now it will be cardstock. Decals are drawn up.
      This won't be an exact Centuri clone, but close enough to capture the feel of the original Fighter Fleet.

      Delete
  2. Make that 2 sales! Can't wait to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vigilante - We'll see if it gets all the way to becoming a kit. Lots of small hurdles and test flights yet.

      Delete
  3. The wind calmed down enough in the late afternoon that I was able to put my Little Joe II up on an E30 for its first flight. Not exactly scale speed with the launch, but it was mostly in tact when recovered. The correct glue will be used to re-attach the top of the launch tower, and it will be ready to go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metalhead,
      Sorry I missed your Little Joe II launch. I would have liked to see that one! I have two of the kits here.

      Delete
  4. Yep, I remember the Centuri Jet Fighter kits (first heard about them when they were mentioned in an issue of Flying Models -- was into model aeroplanes at the time). Did eventually get the F-15 and F-4 kits (these were the only ones that I was able to find by the time I got around to picking up those kits). The F-15 kit built up rather nicely. The F-4 kit was kitbashed into something that resembled a forward-swept wing aircraft with dorsal intake. Scratchbuilt of a rocket based on the F-104 (though I'd excluded the intakes as I couldn't get them to look right). When Estes released the Screaming Eagle kit, I was immediately reminded of the earlier Centuri kit -- upon taking a look a look at the actual kit, I'd noticed that it was going to be an improvement in appearance (though I don't care much for the stock paint scheme -- ugh). I did get a few extra kits with the intent to kitbash them into other jet fighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I never got a Fighter Fleet rocket the first time around. They were released just about the time I left rocketry the first time.
      The F-16 is my favorite of the series, my F-17 is based on that. Decals are done and on the model. It is already loaded for the next test flight.
      I don't know of anybody who liked the Screaming Eagle paint scheme!

      Delete
  5. Perhaps a few other obvious choices for "fighter jet" types:
    F-16XL
    IAI Lavi
    MiG-21
    MiG-25
    Lockheed CL-1200
    North American F-108 Rapier
    Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow
    BAC TSR-2
    Grumman X-29
    Sukhoi Su-47
    Eurofighter Typhoon
    Rockwell HiMAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an overwhelming to-do list! Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  6. Is the 3-second delay a good choice with the Quinstar? D12-0's are available too, but the 3's would be more generally useful to have around. I have no idea how long it takes to coast and come down (still have yet to see a proper launch video of one of these things).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I like using short delays in saucers instead of booster engines. I think you get a little more altitude with a delay then ejection. With a D12-3, the Quinstar turns over then the ejection blows right through the top. There hasn't been a problem with the ejection going off way above the ground. There is just a little discoloration and minor blistering of the paint on the top.

      Delete