Monday, April 30, 2018

Annual Blog Letter

About once a year I have to post some ground rules for the blog. As it continues to grow, some things can get out of hand.
These suggestions aren't meant to discourage any blog readers.

I don't want this blog to turn into a forum.
When a builder posts a question on a hobby forum, the original post gets too many answers. Many could be wrong, suggested by builders with very little rocketry experience.
So please don't offer advice to a question posed in a comment.

I do read and respond to blog comments. I will also delete anything that is out of line, including spam. You'd be amazed how many spam comments include sneaky website links.

Everybody has their own way to do things. Don't tell me I've done it wrong! I make errors and will post them. Hopefully, my mistake could save you some frustration on your next build.
If you think your methods are better, please start your own blog. I follow four other rocketry blogs.

I pick out model builds I feel would be interesting. I have built rockets that were requested in the comments, a suggested build is coming up! I can't always do this, especially if a model is out of production. OOP kits are expensive and not interesting if nobody else can find the same kit for a reasonable price.
If an out of production kit is featured, I might offer decals and templates so you can build one yourself from currently available parts. There are exceptions, once in a while I'll find something different on Ebay and share it here.

I realize some posts may have repeat information. How many different ways can you assemble a 20/50 engine mount? There are always new readers who may not know. I learn best through repetition, especially when things are drilled in.

I can (and do) answer build questions by email, if I've had experience with the kit in question. But, please understand, I can't be a "pen pal". In the past a few have wanted me to walk them through an entire build through multiple emails. 

Please do not post vendor links and sources in the comment section. It's better to email me with a product I may not be aware of. If it turns out to be of interest, I always give name credit to the person who suggested it. The blog is not here to sell products for anybody else. Vendors occasionally send me kits to build. I'll feature new products if they are interesting to the LPR builder. I will occasionally mention my own line of kits. Unless I am contracted to do a build or draw up kit instructions, the only money I receive from the blog is from advertisements and Patreon donations.

EDIT: If you copy a picture of a finished model from this blog, please give photo credit! In the past a few vendors have copied a finished build picture, then pasted it on their website to sell kits. That's the reason I have to put the blog name on a finished picture. I don't build models to make money for somebody else.

The blog was started as a record of my builds. The goal was to share techniques for better built, better performing model rockets. I don't claim to have all the answers, I'm still learning! If someone picks up an idea or tip, it's all worthwhile.
Thanks for reading the blog!

4 comments:

  1. This is my annual "thanks for the blog" comment. I am always learning new stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil!
    I'm glad you find the blog helpful. There are only a few readers that make this post necessary. There are a couple guys on the forums that drive me nuts. I wonder if they get on here and post just to get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently started posting on TRF and YORF after lurking around for over a year. What amazes me is, you can get diametrically opposed answers to some very simple questions. And maybe one of those is right! I can only imagine a newbie posting a build question and getting a multitude of varying responses. Guess you have to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt nowadays. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I agree - too many answers! When I was trying to figure out drywall repair, I went on YouTube. You have to sit through ten different videos to find some good technique!
      This blog adds to the mix. Hopefully having some ideas in one place clears the air a bit.

      Delete