Sunday, April 8, 2018

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., April 7, 2018

Today was probably the last cool day before the Summer heat. There were winds gusting above 20 mph. Jim kept an eye on the anemometer (wind gauge) and yelled for a "hold" a few times.

I've got a new camera after seeing some amazing launch shots taken by Buzz Nau on the NAR Facebook page. The camera is a Canon Rebel T5i, a big step up from my other point and shoot. Be patient while I figure out all the bells and whistles. While my previous camera could shoot in burst mode, I couldn't adjust for a faster shutter speed. These launch shots were set at 1,250 of a second. Next time I'll use 2,000 to 2,500. The moving pictures are much sharper than what I had before.



For a drift test I launched my Estes CURVILINEAR with an Estes A8-3 to about 150 feet.
I almost expect to hear: "More power!" With the wind and small field I didn't go above a B6-4 engine today.






Another A8-3 was used in my Estes STAR SPEEDER clone. This was a textbook flight and recovery with a reefed parachute. Altitude was an estimated 175'.






This is the same Peter Alway SATURN IV that sat in a tree for a month. After it dried out it regained enough stiffness to be launched again.
An Estes B6-4 got it to about 300 feet. Altitude would have been higher but the wind and rod angles held things down.

While this blog leans toward low power, occasionally I see something big and of interest.
Gary Dahlke had this large casing on display. It's a CTI O8,000!
Gary said: "It's on a road tour - years before it'll fly!".




My stretched Quest X-15 flew with an Estes B6-4 to 300'. Another textbook launch with a taped, reefed parachute recovery. No damage.






I launched the Estes SAROS clone, the same build being finished up on this blog. I had read about stability issues of another clone build on rocketreviews.com. A blog comment also mentioned an unstable flight of another Saros.
With an A8-3 it came off the rod then rolled end over end with ejection 35 feet up. No damage.
Too bad I glued in the nose cone. I may have to cut and replace the BT-20 upper body to add some nose weight. Those fins are small!


I did have some launch damage today.
While breaking down the launchers I squatted down to pick up some burnt igniters. I heard a rip and realized it was me!
A rip through the crotch of my jeans.

Since I was using mainly Estes products today, I'm half tempted to send them to Penrose for a replacement.
Five up, five down and ripped pants.

5 comments:

  1. Too bad about the pants, but even worse for the Saros.... it's really a nice looking rocket and an excellent build, of course. I wish Estes would re-release that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots Chris, especially the Saturn IV launch photo. I have my Canon set for shutter speed priority and I keep the speed at 1/2000 or faster if light permits it. I had a problem early on when I was doing "something" to switch the dial without knowing it and then the launch photos came out blurry. Take care and looking forward to your future launch photos. - Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buzz,
      I didn't remember what shutter speed you'd recommended so I went with 1,250 at first. I don't have the zoom my point and click had, a little tough to get close enough. I'll figure it out, I really didn't expect to get anything this first time out, it'll get better with practice!

      Delete
    2. Nice launch and camera shots.
      As for the pants...I'm thinking that might have been staged - you are, after-all, an entertainer! LOL on sending them to Estes for replacement!
      Good launch report!

      Delete
  3. Between Thea and I, you should get that new camera down in no time.

    ReplyDelete