Monday, April 30, 2018

Estes Mini A Heli #007272, Build, Background

Here's a new one from Estes.
"IT'S HERE! GREAT for NAR Competition! Mini engine powered and competition ready helicopter recovery."

I'm probably going to NARAM this August. I did compete back in 1975 and 1976, but to be honest I know very little about model rocket competition. Back then, most of my competition models were from CMR kits (Competiton Model Rockets) I've never entered a helicopter contest before.
I've built an Apogee Heli-Roc but never flown it. I also have a FlisKits Rose-A-Roc in the bag.

This Mini A Heli looks like a simplified Rose-A-Roc, no wires to bend and no complex central spindle. The blades are on the outside of the central BT-5 tube.





Here's the front and back of the package.
The face card illustration shows the blades against the body tube, but there is no burn-through thread shown.


The kit includes an 18" long BT-5 tube. The tube is packed tightly between the sealed bag ends.

I looked over the tube before opening the bag. It seemed okay - 
There was the start of a crimp in the BT-5 tube. It's near one of the ends. 2" of the tube will be cut off and discarded. Maybe this crimp will end up under the coupler?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    I knew it would only be a matter of time until you got to this one. Will follow this with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      This build came pretty quick, right after the kit was released. I'll be making some changes to make it lighter and more efficient.

      Delete