Sunday, April 1, 2018

Estes Saros, K-54 Build, Background

The Estes Saros kit was available from 1971 - 1978.
It was the first two kits to include a plastic integral fin unit / engine mount, "Providing immediate and positive location of the thrust rings." The other kit using plastic was the new Sandhawk.

On the Saros -
The plastic fin unit, adapter and nose cone were two vertical halves.
With all the plastic replacing standard balsa there was no wood grain to fill. Embossed foil trim was applied between the fins.
Built around the BT-50 and BT-20 it stood 22 1/2" tall.
To see the original instructions: CLICK HERE

This build will be a close clone using balsa parts from Semroc and a built up wood and tube fin can.

My build will be a (close) clone capturing the feel of the original. I won't be able to reproduce some of the details in the original molded parts.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    Thank you for starting this build. I've always liked the Saros, but have balked at considering building a clone because of the plastic tail unit. Looks like you have come up with a very decent build alternative. Just might have to add this one to my future build list! Will watch with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      When it is finished I'll offer a PDF of the patterns and decals. I'll also have a work around for the printed chrome fin plates.

      Delete
  2. Did Estes use that plastic fin/tailcone combo on any other rockets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I should have added to the post that it was used again in another TALL kit called the Nomad, Estes #1344.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Chris - wonder if the mold for this piece is still around? It’s a neat fin can with some character. I’ll post a question on YORF, Mr. Boren at Estes posts there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I don't know if the mold still exists. I understand some of them were thrown out. If it were still around they probably would have used it by now. According to online info, the Nomad was produced from 1980 - 82. http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/kitpages/1344_nomad.htm

      Delete
  4. I loved the Saros as a kid, but even then I was skeptical about its stability and could never get it to pass a swing test. I built a clone with Semroc parts a few years back and it was none too stable even on A8 motors. Fly on a calm day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Good to know! Those fins seem small. This might be one that gets a swing test.

      Delete