Thursday, April 5, 2018

Estes Saros, K-54 Build, Fin Can Build, Part 5, Lugs and Fin Plate




The instructions say to cut two 1/8" diameter launch lugs to 1/4" long.
That strikes me as pretty short. Any twisting when you slid the rocket down the rod and a lug could tear off.
I decided to go a bit longer at 3/8".

I buy launch lugs from Balsa Machining Service. They seem stiffer than the Estes kit lugs and don't crush when cut with a razor blade.

The short lugs were slipped over a Q-tip to get a coat of CWF and fill the lug seams.





The face card photo is probably a prototype build. The fin plates aren't molded into the plastic fin can. The plates look more like a chrome sticker with some black print.
My clone will be closer to this look.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the fin plate decals for the Teros are the same as the Saros. So now you have to figure out the best way to show the silver. I would imagine black print doesn't show very well on silver paint on a white decal sheet. Maybe a silver Sharpie on white? Then print the black and clear coat? Will be watching to see your solution. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I thought they looked familiar! I have built an upscale Teros with the fin plates in white and black, not chrome.
      You'll have to wait and see how it's done. Pretty easy and very effective.

      Delete
  2. I had a Saros back in the day, what I remember is that the fin plates were embossed foil stickers. I remember the rocket, and I remember that I wasn't too wild about the plastic parts. I don't remember how it flew or what became of it - too long ago!

    ReplyDelete