Saturday, April 14, 2018

Estes Little Joe II (Small) Build, Part 2, Parts


Here's the parts I assembled for the clone.
The body tube is a BT-58 from ERockets.biz.
The balsa is simply a strip of 3/32" stock and will be sanded to the taper shape.




The capsule and tower pack is currently available from Estes. This is the same parts used in their 1/100 Saturn V kit.





The embossed lower body wrap was a disappointment. The ribs are low and hardly visible. I had to increase the contrast in the picture so they could be seen here. 
I have a feeling these will pretty much disappear when rolled around the body tube and painted.

3 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Perhaps you can take a page from the Dr. Zooch kit instructions, and use embossed Dura Lar wraps to spoof the corrugated skin of the LJII.
    I purchased a long roll of 1 3/4" wide Dura Lar streamer material from erockets when it was closing it out several months ago, thinking I'd be set on streamer material for life. But it can also be used as a wrap to simulate the corrugated skin on many of the early space rockets. Plus it's chrome so doesn't need to be painted.
    Maybe also some chrome monokote wraps for the fins? Will keep painting and sealing down to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I wasn't aware that the Dr. Zooch kits was using the Dura Lar wraps. I talked with Wes a few years back, he told me he was having trouble finding corrugated material. I'm still looking for a corrugated roller tool to make evenly ribbed materials. I should have bought one when Hobby Lobby had them for sale.
      Does Dura Lar sell the material already corrugated?
      I won't be using chrome Monokote trim for the fins. The old Centuri mini Joe II did that for fin covering but as I remember it was very hard to get right.

      Delete
    2. Hey Chris,
      Yeah my Dr. Zooch Mercury Atlas had pre-embossed red metallized Dura Lar streamer material to spoof the corrugated skin near the base of the rocket and just under the capsule. The streamer material I bought from erockets was also already embossed. Tried looking for current availability but coming up empty. Anyway, will send you some pictures via e-mail. And I know you probably already finished this build, but would be happy to send you several feet of this chrome streamer material if you like.

      Delete