Sunday, April 15, 2018

LAUNCH! N.E.F.A.R. Monthly, April 14, 2018

From Greg Lukach on the Nefar Facebook page, Friday night:
"Ok everyone - important announcement. The launch is still a go. HOWEVER - parking will be very limited. The field is still a bit soft. More importantly, it has been freshly planted and there can be NO parking or driving on the areas that have been planted."

Parking was limited, the road was blocked off about halfway down its length. I arrived at 10:15 a.m. and ended up at the West edge of the property. There were lots of long walks to and from the LPR launchers and to pick up rockets.

I'm starting to figure out the new camera. Using the burst feature and with the shutter speed now at 1/2500 of a second, the launch shots are very clear! Enlarge the pictures to see the better focus.

I usually start with B engines and work my way up in power as the day goes on. Today I wanted to beat the winds and started with an E9-4 in my Estes MEGA MOSQUITO.
E9 engines are on the way out, cross your fingers and hope for the best! No problems today with a long burn boost and recovery under an 18" chute with a spill hole. Altitude was probably around 750'.


I didn't get a launch shot of the Estes SOLAR WARRIOR using a D12-5. (I didn't switch the camera to burst mode!)
Picture perfect launch, the same parachute from the last flight was used to bring it down. Estimated altitude was 750'.








Bill Morris launched his beautifully built Orbital Transport. He trimmed the glider almost too well - it was lost in the North field.


I used two of my remaining Q2G2 igniters to launch the Quest MAGNUM PAYLOADER. I'm guessing the two Estes C6-5 engines got it to 675'.
I had an Estes Altimeter in the payload section, but when I tried to turn it on the battery was dead!



I've only flown the TMRK NASA SCOUT once before, today it got an Estes C6-5.
Arrow straight to 600' with good drift under the 16" black nylon chute. Every recovery was in the North field with long walks to pick them up.

My most difficult recovery of the day - 
The Estes CURVILINEAR was boosted with a German made Quest B6-4. Good altitude to 375'. I should have cut a spill hole in the 12" chute. It took over 20 minutes to find it in the high grass. The Curvilinear is structurally stout and strong.

After all the walking I was tired and drove home around 2:30 p.m. Five launched, five recovered with no real flight damage.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Buzz,
      Little by little I'm figuring out the camera. Now to get those shots you do with the rocket higher in the air.

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous. We got rained out again this weekend. The Scout liftoff is a killer pic. (BTW, the Estes kit is the Solar Warrior. I like your idea better than Estes cannibalizing names from old kits.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Bill, I knew it was a Solar Something - correction made!

      Delete
    2. I'm jealous, too. Been too dang windy around these parts to fly rockets.
      Nice flights and nice report!

      Delete