Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Estes Saros, K-54 Build, Fin Can Build, Part 12, Fin Plates and Nose Detail


Below the trim piece you can see a thin strip of masking tape. All four sides got a strip of tape for consistent spacing from the bottom of the fin can tube.

Place the center area down first, making sure the trim piece is straight. press the center line then work out to the sides. Press into the root edges before adhering to the fin sides.

The water slide decals are transferred over the chrome pieces.
The effect is good and pretty easy to do.

Patreon members - If you would like the decal PDF and fin patterns, email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and ask for the Saros decals.
There are usually compromises on clone models.
The plastic nose cone had some molded details. The four raised "nubs" were very small and would be hard to glue and smooth out.
I could probably do something close to the trapezoid rectangles.

I drew up a simple template.


I thought a black trim Monokote piece would look like a raised hatch. On the left it a test while the nose cone was still white.

The problem was, the trim piece disappeared when stuck down on the gloss black paint!







I pulled out my old standby trim, Contact Paper Blackboard Vinyl. It's a flat black finish and might show some contrast on the gloss finish.

The effect is subtle but at least you can see it!

4 comments:

  1. The decal over the chrome Trim Monokote looks really nice. That is a good trick to keep in mind.

    I have fond memories of my Saros, which I built... oh, probably around 1975-ish. The clone that Leo Nutz built 3D printed nose and fin can was pretty impressive (http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?143488-Estes-Saros-Clone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Yep, Leo does great work, one of the cleanest builders I've ever seen.

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't you know, just after you build the clone someone is selling a bag of the Saros plastic parts on Ebay:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTES-Saros-Plastic-Model-Rocket-Parts/183169012166?hash=item2aa5b951c6:g:ocEAAOSw5lJayk9X

    Of course, that's the EASY way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I did see those listed on Ebay! I'm not bidding on it, I've done enough Saros building for now!

      Delete