Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Centuri Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer #5325, Build Background

"The first flying kit of a flying saucer ever produced!"
A well engineered design. Stable (but labored) boost. At apogee, the model flips over and descends landing on three wire antenna legs. Glow in the dark accents were included, "Perfect for display in your room!"

Above is the first catalog page showing off the Centuri Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer. This catalog was the second printed in a large newspaper style. I remember being disappointed by the new catalog format. This page is from Ninfinger's: CLICK HERE

The model I'll be building was posted on YORF.
'The Mole" took the time to do a 75% size downscale. Here's his first post from November, 2015:

"This is a cardstock / downscale combined model.
The Centuri Alien Scoutship Flying Saucer has always been one of my favorite kits. I had a couple when they came out years ago. The design to me was so well thought-out. Centuri gave us the basic flying saucer that most flying saucers have been designed on since.
So I set out to clone the Centuri UFO. I know, others have done this. I decided to take a different approach to my clone.

"First, I decided to draw the elements that had originally been embossed.
Second, I down-sized the scale to fit on a 8.50 X 11.00 sheet of card stock for printing.
Third, I wanted to share this design with anyone who would like to build their own.
At the end of this build thread I will send the PDFs to Scott so he can post them for sharing. It's all right with me if anyone wants to recolor or add their own touch to the drawing. All I ask is share it here.
The size of the craft is around 75% the size of the original Centuri UFO. (7 inch in diameter)
I used the BT-20 engine tube. If you want to fly on a smaller engine use an adapter.
Some parts are printed on 110 cardstock, and some parts are printed on adhesive-backed shipping label paper as noted in the thread.

Here are a couple shots of my UFO sighting."





To get the PDFs, CLICK HERE and go to post #21. 
This smaller version can be printed on standard 8 1/2" X 11" 110 lb.card stock. Two of the four sheets are printed on self adhesive paper. 
I've downsized the antenna landing legs and drawn 75% reduced  "wire form retainers" if you'd like to add them to your build. This printout PDF is available to Patreon members.
Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and ask for the Centuri Flying Saucer PDF.
NOTE: If you want to add the antenna/legs you will have to trim the outside edges of the "C" and "L" internal fins to clear the extra width of the wire and card stock retainers. The re-fit of the internal brace fins took some extra time. 

The original kit diameter was a little over 9". This version is about 7" round.
On Frank's build, the 2 3/4" long engine mount tube was even with the fin tops and extended out the back. Mine will be even with the rear of the fins with the mount over the top by 3/8".

6 comments:

  1. It seems wrong to hide changes to a plan that someone labored over and provided for free. Please think about paying forward and posting your additons back to the TRF thread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      It was never my intent to hide any changes to Franks (the Mole) build. He gets all the credit for drawing this up. I know how much time goes into a complicated downscale like this. I will be posting the antenna patterns on YORF when it comes up in the blog build.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with the other commenter. Yes, please post your original work exclusively for Patreon members; that's cool. But the person who originally posted these plans only asked that derivative work be posted back to the thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      That is the plan! I will add the antenna wire templates to the original YORF posts. Frank gets all the credit for the time and talent involved in this downscale.

      Delete
  3. You are a good and upstanding person, thanks!

    ReplyDelete