Saturday, August 8, 2020

Estes Green Eggs, #7301 Build, Part 8, Decal Draw

The Green Eggs design does remind me of the old Estes Scrambler, especially the shape of the fins.
I'm not a fan of the sticker decals, I'd rather draw up some old style but clean Scrambler decals.
The Scrambler decals were whimsical with some relevant egg related puns, like the later Red Max decals. Goofy decals are fun, sometimes the designers might have been pushing their luck!

As always, getting the wrap decals to match up at the seam are the trickiest ones to draw.

PST-65R is 1.796" diameter.
To get the circumference, multiply by Pi
1.796" X 3.14 = 5.639" circumference

The paper strip wrapped around the body tube measured out at 5.65". That's as close a reading as I could get using my engineer's scale.

The old Scrambler decal wrap does overlap at the start/finish point. 5.65" width should be close going around the BT-65 tube.
Why did I do two wrap decals? One is a bit longer than the other. If the first one doesn't fit, maybe the second one will. When you draw up tube wrap decals, chances are the first draft will need some size tweaks.
I didn't draw up every little decal from the original kit. All the catalog pictures only use the large cracked egg with the Scrambler name and large roll wrap. To use all the little decals could make a congested looking rocket.

The decals are available as a home print PDF for members of Patreon. Email me at: oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and ask for the Scrambler Decal PDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment