Monday, August 10, 2020

Oh No! Trying New (Old) Paint

I started in Model Rocketry back in 1969. My "go-to" spray paint was Krylon. (Like we had many choices back then.)
I had very good luck with the old Krylon. Never any re-coat time concerns, like "crazing" or wrinkling of the paint. No spattering or cottage cheese like with the current Rusto 2X Gloss White.


David (Scigs on the forums) is a very fine builder. His posts show catalog quality models.
He has written that the Krylon Industrial Acrylic-Quik is the same paint I used in the late 1960 and through the 1970s - Before they changed the formula.
I had put off buying the Krylon Acryli-Quik paint. No hardware store or hobby shop store carried it. I had to order it online, and drive to Grainger's for pick-up, 20 miles away. A single 12 oz. can was around $8.50.



Here's our correspondence:
Hi David,
I finally broke down and ordered some Krylon Acrylic-Quik from Grainger's.
Four cans of Gloss White to start.
While I don't like the extra expense, I had to things weigh out. It's worth more to me not to take a chance getting that rough, cottage cheese spattering I've seen in the Rusto paints.
I haven't used it yet, I'll follow up on the blog and if I could, use your name as a referral if it works out.
Thanks for the info - Fingers crossed.
Chris Michielssen
Chris, 
It is a shame what has happened to spray paint, I see the "Taggers" are complaining about the quality of paint. The Krylon is pretty much the same old stuff but with limited colors such as no silver paint.  Besides money, Krylon as you have commented on before is more translucent than enamel paints and not as glossy. That aside, it is sure nice that I never have issues painting and love the fact I can recoat anytime. I hope it works for you, take care.
David S.

3 comments:

  1. I recently tried the Krylon Fusion, as that line has the nose cone color that matches the decals on my Mega Mamba. I also tried black because of the issues I have had with Rusto 2X. While the paint goes on nicely, the finish certainly isn't as gloss as the Rusto 2X, which is disappointing. I'll leave it for this rocket, then go back to the Rusto and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      You don't know how many times I've thought: "I'll go back to the Rusto and hope for the best."
      I've just started using the Gloss White Krylon Industrial. It seems to be just like the original I used back in the 1970s. While a fair gloss finish, there are no re-coat windows. You can spray again anytime with no "crazing" or wrinkling of the paint.

      Delete
  2. "While the paint goes on nicely, the finish certainly isn't as gloss as the Rusto 2X, which is disappointing."

    This is pretty much the same as my experience. It behaves better than Rusto and dries quicker, but does not have the good gloss.

    ReplyDelete