Thursday, August 20, 2020

Centuri Flying Saucer #5325, Part 7, First Fit of the C Braces



TIP: You can get a rounded leading and trailing edges on carded fins by applying a glue bead down the edge. Apply a fine line of glue, then run your finger down both sides of the fin to even out the glue bead. Let dry and sand lightly with 400 grit.

This glue bead will also strengthen and seal the edges of the fins.
I tried to slide the engine mount assembly into the center core. The fit was too tight!
With the addition of the wire thickness the span was now too wide! I trimmed off about 1/32" from the outside edge of the C brace.

I later learned this wasn't enough! You'll have to trim off almost 1/16" for the proper fit.
I'll continue with the build to show what happened - but be aware, on my build it required some extra fitting and time.

I made some "Wire Form Retainers" from 110 lb. card stock. These were just strips of card stock about 3/8" wide.

On the left it looks like a simple fold. The center is actually a double fold, to roll over the wire antenna positioned in the center.

I drew up some Wire Form Retainers along with an Antenna Template. This PDF is available to Patreon supporters. Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and ask for the Centuri Flying Saucer PDF.
Note: I do not have all the templates, just the 75% size antenna and the antenna retainers. All other PDFs for the main body parts are listed in the first Background Post: CLICK HERE


Here's how the antennas fit -
And the retainer strips over that. That angle joint at the upper right is cut and fitted.

When first gluing on the antennas (left picture), don't use much glue. They hold better when the glue is about half dry and tacky.

No comments:

Post a Comment