Sunday, August 23, 2020

Shroud Line Hole Punch TIP

When assembling parachutes, you are instructed to punch a hole through the reinforcement ring and the plastic chute material. A sharpened pencil is usually suggested. A pencil point can tear and stretch the parachute plastic.

I use the smallest punch on my rotary punch.
Notice there is some card stock underneath the plastic sheet to make an easier, clean punch.

TIP: Instead of punching the whole in the center of the disk, I set the hole to the outside edge. This puts the line strain against the reinforcement disk preventing stretching and tearing of the chute plastic.

2 comments:

  1. I love your attention to detail. The little things like this that you come up with help all of us bring our rocket building up to the next level. Thanks, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike!
      I'm single and have the personal time to spend on trivial rocket details. I guess I'm rocket-retentive.

      Delete