Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Estes Green Eggs, #7301 Build, Part 5, Fin Shaping & L. Lug Placement

The instructions show rounding the leading edge of the fin.
I like to use my sanding block for the initial shaping. The block prevents the corners from being rounded off.
After the block is used, a piece of 400 grit is used to take down any high spots.

On the right I'm checking for an even shape of the leading edge. 
I did follow the centering ring positions before gluing. The notch going over the black retaining ring seemed about 1/32" high. I cut and lowered the notch to fit. This was done before the gussets (shown earlier) were added.

On the right is another dry fit of the engine mount and fin. With the engine mount tube even with the end of the body tube, the trailing edge of the fins weren't even with the body tube edge.





I had to sand and raise the low end of the fin tab to get the fin a bit lower. Not a big deal, TTW fins sometimes need some adjustments. This was a pre-production kit so some adjustments may have been made before mass production.
The instructions say: "Make a mark in the middle of any two fin slots." I've been centering launch lugs for years, I like to build a bit more precise.

A strip of paper was wrapped and the fin slots marked. Fold the paper, mark the center. Tape the marked strip back on the tube and mark the center point for the launch lug placment.

No comments:

Post a Comment