Friday, August 28, 2020

Semroc Micro Mars Lander, KMX-02, Part 1, Parts


In the past I've built the full size Estes and Semroc Mars Lander (Sorry, not on this blog) and the Estes Mini Mars Lander: CLICK HERE.
Now things are going to get even smaller -
This looked like a challenge and I have plenty of MicroMaxx motors to fly it with.

Here's the front and back of the package.



The largest square white pieces are the Leg Alignment Tools, at the bottom of that piece is the engine mount depth gauge and the three nozzle laminate rings.

The parts of interest, clockwise from the upper left:
Printed card stock trim pieces.
Strut support pieces (laser cut thin card stock)
3D printed nose cone
Nozzle base disk (1/8" thick balsa)
Lander Legs (1/32" thick basswood)
Center - Antenna disks (basswood)

2 comments:

  1. The build is actually rather easy, except for the cardstock details. They are a bit of a pain and did not look as good as I had hoped. Where I am stalled is finishing. You cannot really spray paint much of this rocket without very complex masking, and I suck at brush painting. So, mine will eventually look good from the pad, and I have to be ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      Looking ahead at the build, I ended up painting the legs separately then gluing them into the already painted white body. The small orange card stock supports were also painted off the body. Decals were the smallest I had ever worked with. All that is coming up on the build.

      Delete