Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Centuri Flying Saucer #5325, Part 12, Glow In The Dark Dots

Here's a case of a single guy with too much time on his hands. I'm going to add the glow in the dark dot "lights". These were a special added feature of the Centuri kit.

From the instructions:
"SPACE GLOW DECALS" There are over 70 of these round dots, more than enough to decorate your model. One goes into every round embossed area on the main shroud and around the core tube. These dots, printed with a special ink are phosphorescent. This means they soak up available light and then glow in the dark."

Using a Michael's 40% off coupon I bought a can of Krylon "Glowz In The Dark" paint for $4.80.

Half of a peel and stick self adhesive page was sprayed with the glow paint.
A simple 1/4" punch was used to knock out many small dots.

TIP: If your dots aren't cutting clean, flip over the sheet and punch with the backing side facing up.


Place the dots using the tip of your knife blade and lightly burnish.






With my pantry door shut and the lights off - Here's the saucer with glowing dots. There is also some glow dots in the center core.
Rocket Nerd SUCCESS!
No . . . this wouldn't make the saucer more visible at a night launch.

6 comments:

  1. With your left over glow paint you can spray a Semroc Moon Glo like I did. ( From one rocket nerd to another).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I think the Moon Glo is the only real option for the almost full can of paint!

      Delete
  2. OK, you guys aren’t THAT nerdy ... unless you hung those glowing models from the ceiling of your bedroom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lee,
      I'm single, I could probably get away with that. When I was 7 years old I did hang my plastic jet models from the ceiling.

      Delete
  3. Me too! And into my teens ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had space models hanging from the ceiling, anyway, the dots complete the model and we're required to complete the vibe.

    ReplyDelete