Monday, August 17, 2020

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, August, 16, 2020

It's been a month since my last "Lone Wolf" launch at the soccer field.
My Summer plan is to always get out early before the temperature and humidity gets too high.

Two MicroMaxx launches kicked things off.
There's a reason why I don't launch the old Quest MMX FLYING SAUCER. It probably got 25 feet up. Whoo-hoo! - wasted engine.

The ASP MMX JAYHAWK was so much better. I would guess 75' with a bit of wiggle during the short coast before ejection.

I wanted to launch the NewWay MMX C-Thru, but the CA glued launch lug popped off! Super Glues have their place in Rocketry, but not to attach fins or launch lugs.

Here's the newly finished 3/4 size Centuri FLYING SAUCER.
A C6-0 produced a labored boost to about 125'. The saucer flipped over and "floated" down, just like the catalog page showed. Antennas going up, landing legs going down.
There was a lot of wet grass. Even with the clear coat sealing, it was wiped down immediately.


The Quest FLV was prepped with a German Quest B6-4.
It veered a bit to the Northeast during boost. Peak altitude was probably 325'.
The model was already outside the field when the ejection fired. Under the 14" Quest chute it landed 15' up in a palm tree bordering the street. I'll leave it for now and try to retrieve it after I return home to get my extendable pruner pole.

I rarely launch the Estes REFLECTOR. This one was kit-bashed to look more like the old Centuri Lil' Hustler.
The Estes A8-3 peaked at about 250'. Full chute and textbook recovery.









My best flight of the day -
The Odd'l Gooney G-16.
This is not a kit, just a silly take on the F-16.

Perfect B6-4 boost to 300' and full 12" chute at ejection. No damage at recovery. This is how they should work! But, it would be boring if everything were perfect.
And finally, launch number seven for the day -
The Dr. Zooch STICK with a Chinese made Quest A6-4.
The 6" diameter parachute seems too small but it does slow it down more than a streamer could.

I went home, dropped off the equipment and grabbed my extendable pruner. I walked back to the FLV rocket stuck in the palm tree.
An early commuter drove up, stopped an said: "You've found quite a treasure!" He saw the rocket hung up in the tree. I explained it was from a earlier launch, I returned to get it down.
The commuter said he launched many rockets as a teen. We talked for a few minutes about his favorite - Big Berthas. He thanked me for the rocket memories.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Chris,
    Looks like a fun time with some good flights.
    I can definitely say that I've never lost a model to a palm tree, being in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete