Monday, August 17, 2020

Smoothing Out a Wet Rocket! TIP

Yesterdays launch left my Quest FLV 15' up in a palm tree.
I couldn't cut through the shock cord with my extendable pole pruner, so it was pulled down. The shock cord finally separated and the model fell down in two pieces.

There was no real damage, but the palm fronds were wet! The printed tube wraps were damp and wrinkled.

By the time I walked back home the wraps were about half dry. There were still wrinkles!
I grabbed my favorite smooth burnisher, a Sharpie pen.
This was rolled over the paper wrap wrinkles, molding them back to the surface.

The trick is to not roll over the wrinkles when the paper was too wet. You could create friction and tear the wrap. With the paper about half dry it was strong enough to be reformed down onto the tube surface.

1 comment: