Saturday, August 15, 2020

Clear Tape Over Leading Edges? TIP

Something I hadn't thought about before -
A protective cover over the leading edges of fins. Here, TRF posts are talking about the fins on the Estes Ascender splitting down the leading edge glue seam during a strong boost.

Thirsty Barbarian posted:
"You could wrap a strip of electrical tape over the leading edge if you go for more aggressive motors.

5X7 added:
"I think clear packing tape would be effective and won’t ruin the great graphics. I have made home decals with good packing tape overlain that are still good now after 25 years."

Neil W answered:
"Even plain old cellophane tape (i.e. Scotch tape) does the trick just fine. Dunno if it lasts 25 years though. "

Thirsty Barbarian then finished:
"Clear tape sounds like a good option. The point is to seal that glued joint from the air stream, so I'm sure a lot of different products would be good for that."


My thought:
This might be good for a LPR model with soft balsa.
The balsa on my Centurion Project (Centurion with interchangeable engine mounts) had soft balsa fins. I'm still kicking myself for not cutting new ones from stiffer stock. A shock cord "snap back" could do some damage to the leading edges. The clear tape (or packing tape) reinforcement might just be the answer.

To read about the Centurion Project and interchangeable engine mounts (single 18mm, two 18mm and single 24mm mounts in one rocket) CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment