Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1 SA-5 Build Part 19 Nozzle Bands


After trimming off the overhang, I did have to sand the bottom of the nozzle bands flat and smooth.

To make a smoother edge of the nozzle, I hardened it up a bit.
I set a small drop of thin CA on my cardboard cutting board. I didn't want the drop to be "tall" but more like a low puddle.

The edge of the nozzle bell was turned in the CA hardening up the edge and giving me a better surface for sanding with 400 grit on a block.


4 1/4" long pieces of "Popeilium" shroud line material are wrapped around the upper side of the inner band for the nozzle "hat bands". The 4 1/4" length is just the right length for four wraps of the line.

To start the line, place a small drop of glue at the shroud seam. Let the glue dry for a bit, then press the line into the glue.

I found it easier to start the line with the nozzle sitting on it's side.

TRIVIA: When I was starting the Odd'l Rocket kits, I was looking for a source of "old style" cotton shroud lines. Wes (Dr. Zooch) always mentions his shroud lines are made of "Popeilium". I did web searches for the elusive Popeilium material only to find he named it after Ron Popeil, the inventor of the Veg-A-Matic and spray on hair. I should have known it was a goof.

No comments:

Post a Comment