Thursday, November 4, 2010

New Engine Designation Idea

I've sent a email to Rick Piester at Estes with this suggestion.

This idea was inspired by the old Centuri engines. I wanted to make an additional improvement.
The Centuri engine power designation was printed eight times (horizontally) around the lower third of the engine.
At a glance you could pick the appropriate engine for your rocket.
But, once installed, the printed engine power was out of sight, covered by the engine mount tube.

My idea:
Typically, the nozzle end of the engine extends 1/4" out the back of a rocket.
I'd like to see the engine type designation at the bottom rear of the engine.
This way it can be seen after the engine is loaded into the motor mount.

Even experienced fliers have been known to load the wrong engine power or delay.
With the engine name visible out the back of the mount, it could be identified all the way up to when the micro clips are connected.

Some of the advantages:
  • More successes for first timers, more return fliers.
  • Less mistakes and much less impacts before ejection.
  • Safer for the consumer and manufacturer.
The engine power and delay band is printed in the appropriate color for it's intended use: GREEN = Single Stage, PURPLE = Upper Stage and RED = Booster engine.
In the picture you can see the engine name once, it's actually printed three times around the nozzle end of the engine.
What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea as long as it doesn't significantly increase their cost. It doesn't happen often, but I have grabbed the wrong delay after (supposedly) sorting them in my range box. The latter doesn't have bins for every engine type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Dick, I've done the same thing.
    I don't see how it would increase the production cost when you consider the safety advantages. In the picture I glued on a printed band just for an example. This line could be printed at the same time the other information is rolled on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any change will cost something. Color printing included. However, I have no idea whether this is significant. It seems clearer marking would have at least a little safety benefit. However, as long as there is *any* ejection event, a modroc is very safe. On the contrary, they will sell less replacement parts/kits. I can't quantify that either :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my motors get masking tape thrust rings so no help for me. Any motors out of the pack get relabelled, large, in several places, with a sharpie pin so I don't have to search and squint.
    Same with my epoxy bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of mine get the thrust rings too, but only after I've selected them correctly. I like the idea of marking them with a sharpie. I've done that occasionally, but I may make that SOP after they come out of the package.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a good idea - even if the final product is just some large block fonts around the nozzle end of the engine. My kids' rockets usually have the typical engine clip, so they've be a good target market for the feature.

    (I like the sharpie idea, too. I'll have to give that a try.)

    ReplyDelete