Monday, November 22, 2010

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1 SA-5 Build Part 31 Upper LH2 Ducts


Read the Scale mistake note below before doing what I did!
I tried to sand an angle to the bottom of the retro rockets to match the top end of the lower LH2 ducts.
Be careful how much you sand, don't make them too short like I did.

I got the angle as close as I could. I'll fill the gap with white glue and touch up the joint with white paint later.

Scale mistake note: The retro rockets didn't connect to the lower LH2 ducts! They were set on four of the eight standoffs. On this model, the upper launch lug is glued to a standoff.
You can make all eight standoffs and glue the retro rockets to every other standoff if you'd like. This was my mistake, I didn't look close enough to the S-1 drawing inset in the instructions. But on the positive side, this way the retro rockets are stronger with two gluing areas instead of just glued to the upper centering ring alone.
Check the Meatball Rocketry site for a better pictorial explanation.



The upper LH2 ducts go a little to the left of the lower duct placement.

Sight down the body tube to get them just to the left and straight.






While the nozzles were drying, I glued on a new bottom plate.

This time the position of the engine hook notch was rotated so the hook movement wouldn't bump up against the nozzles.

I blackened in the edges of the body tube and the old plate so when the new one is glued on the first try will be less noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment