Sunday, November 7, 2010

New / Old Finishing Trim Material

At the recent Orlando R.O.C.K. NAR section launch we had two new fliers, Jason Dembroski and Art Almquist.
This is Jason with with his two stage Red Star from Red River rocketry.

Jason is a great builder and designer. He knows how to make smooth transitions and epoxy fillets.

The upper stage of the Red Star is stock, but he added a ringed booster made from the first stage of a Quest Navaho.


Take a close look all the black details.
I asked what he used for masking. He said he didn't mask at all.

Here's what he used:

If I don't have to mask, I won't! I'd rather use colored electrical tape or Monokote trim.

This black, self adhesive Contact paper is so much cheaper than anything else out there. With my 40% off coupon from Michael's, I bought a 6 feet X 18 inch roll for $4.47! This could be a lifetime supply.

PLEASE NOTE:
Other colors of Con-Tact brand paper might be "re-positionable, not permanant. This black, chalkboard material is permanant. Be sure to look for Con-tact Paper for Arts and Crafts.

Growing up, I knew the Contact Paper brand. But I only associated it with my Mother, covering a shelf or lining the bottom of a drawer.

Jason used the matte finish Chalkboard cover. It's very thin and the flat black with a slight texture looked great on this rocket.

I can see it being used on rockets like the Taurus, Skyhook stripes, bands on the Mark and even the trim stripes on the Hawk glider.

No comments:

Post a Comment