Friday, November 19, 2010

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1 SA-5 Build Part 25 Bottom Plate


From Step 9B Subsection A - Amendment WB1074:
The S-1 bottom plate is cut out and fitted.

I cut out the "Engine Cut-Out" hole and test fitted it on a scrap piece of BT-20
before gluing it on the bottom centering ring. It's easier getting a good fit off the model before committing it with glue.

After lining up with the fins, you can cut the engine hook notch. I used the rotary hole punch.


The instructions tell you: "It is best to align the four black dots with the center of each stub fin."

I followed the directions. But-
I found out afterwards this does not give you clearance for movement of the engine hook when the nozzles are glued in place.

Here's a picture of my finished Zooch Saturn 1B (on the right) next to the new Saturn 1 SA-5.
Like I did on the Saturn 1B, you should probably center the engine hook notch between two nozzles, where the row of rectangles are.

I have the necessary engine hook clearance on my older Saturn 1B.
I'll print off another bottom plate, cut the engine hook location where it should be and glue it right on top of the bottom plate already in place. The new bottom plate will be rotated slightly like it was on the Saturn 1B.

TIP:
This is a good example of why you should scan patterns sheets before starting any kit. Sometimes you have to go back and do a step a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment