Friday, September 23, 2011

LAUNCH! Soccer Field September 22, 2011

I'm getting a little more ambitious with engine power at the soccer field.If I get out early enough, drift is minimal and I can fly B engines without losing the model.




First up was my carded downscale ASTRO 1.
With the old MPC 1/2A3-5m engine it probably got to 500' before ejecting the streamer.
It still drifted all the way to the school parking lot next door.






Here's a new one for me - the Custom NOMAD.
Custom recommends a B4-4 engine for the first flight, I used an Estes B6-4.
Boost was good to about 425', but at ejection just the nose cone blew. There was no parachute. It landed without damage.

You can see the melted parachute in the inset picture. I haven't fried a parachute in years! Oh well, I've got more.



I was sliding the MPC MARTIAN PATROL down the launch rod and noticed the upper lug (connected to the fin can) was cracked at the base. I carry Super Glue with me and it was an easy fix applying it with a toothpick.
The kit was already 35 years old when I put it together, plastic gets brittle over the years.

The rocket was launched (without saucers) with a B6-4. Without the Styrofoam saucers the drag was much less. I'd estimate the altitude to be 600'. Full parachute recovery with no damage.

Also flown:
The Semroc ASTRON with a A10-3t engine to an estimated 400'. This model is designed for 18mm engines, I simply shoved the 13mm into an empty 18mm casing.
Good flight, I caught this one before it hit the asphalt in the basketball courts.

No comments:

Post a Comment