Saturday, September 17, 2011

TIPS: Cutting Out Parachutes


I've never understood why parachute instructions direct you to cut out the parachute with scissors!

I can't cut through the sheet plastic even with my best, sharpest scissors. The thin plastic just folds up between the scissor blades.



Set your metal straightedge over the dashed line and cut down the lines with your hobby knife or single edge razor blade.

My straightedge has a cork backing for a better grip.
Notice it is turned over with the cork side up.
This keeps the straightedge right on the parachute material.

If the cork were down (with the inch measurements showing) that small gap between the cork and the edge of the metal ruler lets the plastic sheet flex. This can give you a jagged cut edge on the parachute sides.



I've mentioned this tip before:
Tying shroud lines is SO much easier using long tweezers.
If you don't have long tweezers, get a set.
You'll thank me the next time you make a parachute.

No comments:

Post a Comment