Tuesday, July 3, 2018

BMS/Alway Saturn V Build, Background


According to the BMS website, the BMS/Alway Saturn V kit has been out of production for eight years. The picture above is from a build I did a few years back.












This is a very well engineered kit.
The stage 1 and stage 2 tubing is a Centuri ST-20 at just over 2" in diameter. The finished model stands 22" tall.
It's larger than the BT-60 based Dr. Zooch Saturn V and about half the height of the Estes Saturn V. This version is a more manageable size and uses 18mm B and C engines. It is launched with the four F-1 outside nozzles in place.
It's interesting to note this is not the moon landing Apollo 11 rocket but the Saturn V from the Apollo 15, 16 and 17 missions.

7 comments:

  1. This should be fun! Just last night I went through the parts and instructions on my kit. Thought about building along with Chris (sounds like a tv show - instead of singing along with Mitch) but too many other things going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      The build should still be here when you are ready to tackle it! This is really a great kit.

      Delete
  2. Great to see this one show up. A big thanks to BMS for re-releasing this nice Saturn V kit. Another thanks to you, Chris. You said you would get around to building this kit and the time has finely came. With this build I believe you have built every Saturn V kit that has been available haven't you?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      I think I have built about every Saturn V kit that has been produced, even the smaller semi-scale version from Estes. That one was a disappointment. I've built both of the Estes (embossed wrap) and Centuri (vacu-form wrap) versions, two Apogee Saturn Vs and the Dr. Zooch kit. I haven't built the Sirius BIG one tho - (Too be honest, I don't want to built another big Saturn V!)

      Delete
    2. I forgot, I've also built the FlisKits Micro Maxx Saturn V. I'm going to build another one of those -

      Delete
  3. Frank...thank you for sending me one of these beauties after my Fliskits 1b...now I can follow Chris's thread! Looks like a beautiful kit!!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jimmy,
    I actually liked building the Dr. Zooch Saturn V kits. https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/DZ%20Saturn%20V Scroll down to Jan. 10, 2013 to find the build.
    The Zooch Saturn V is BT-60 based, about the same size as the older Estes Semi Scale Saturn V kit.
    It's very well detailed for it's size and being smaller it is more manageable.
    The most recent Estes Saturn V, kit #1969 is a big improvement over previous versions with the newer hard plastic (not vacu-form) fins.
    I'm building the latest Skylab Saturn V right now. The future blog posts will focus on tips and some "gotchas".

    ReplyDelete