Friday, July 6, 2018

BMS/Alway Saturn V Build, Part 2, Engine Mount



I did use my hobby knife to free the middle from the centering rings.

The small squares are for attachment of the F-1 nozzle assemblies. This is the bottom ring of the mount.






I usually clean up any char marks from laser cut parts. Here I'm sanding just the "flats", not the outside edges which could effect the fit in the large tube.

Here's the finished mount, nothing out of the ordinary.

I did use black electrical tape for the engine hook retention. I do this for longevity. Paper masking tape breaks down faster over time.

No Kevlar here, the elastic shock cord will be attached using a standard tri-fold mount later.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, when/if do you think it’s necessary to use the two-step technique of gluing the upper centering ring first with the lower loose and then the lower one? I tend to do it that way on larger body tubes and pretty much always on 24mm or bigger motor mounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I don't understand your question. I'll usually glue on the upper ring first, the lower ring can be left loose to help line up the engine hook. In this case the upper ring goes over the engine hook.

      Delete