Wednesday, July 25, 2018

BMS/Alway Saturn V Build, Part 23, Upper Body Black Paint and Vinyl

Please note: I use clear Scotch tape for masking. If your surfaces aren't clean, you probably won't get a sharp masked line using Scotch tape. If in doubt, go with the Tamiya tape. I'm just cheap!

The upper 1/2" of the S-IVB tube is painted black.
Again I used Scotch Tape for the mask. The The Systems Tunnel got a smaller piece of tape to start. The short tape piece made it easier to tuck it into the root edge joint.

Brown masking tape and a paper wrap covered up the low end of the tube.
Here's another great part of the kit.
Masking the roll pattern on the large adapter could be difficult. The kit supplies you with pre-cut self adhesive vinyl.
TIP: Notice the pencil line at the the top of the shoulder. If you have a surface area where the paint isn't perfect, the black vinyl can cover it up - if you plan ahead before sticking in on. The pencil line is where I started the vinyl wrap to cover up an area where the paint gloss wasn't even.

Do some dry fits without peeling off the backing before sticking it down. There will be a gap at the bottom.

TIP: Before applying the vinyl - Be sure the adapter is clean, be sure your hands are clean. A dust or dirt speck will show up as a lump under the vinyl.






Here's the almost finished upper end of the model.

The silver APS Units have yet to be glued on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Beautiful. I really wish I'd bought one of these right away. I didn't realize they'd sell out so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I don't think Bill at BMS thought they would sell that quickly. His plan was to introduce the kit (with my build) at NARAM! If his work load lightens he might produce more kits.

      Delete