Thursday, July 26, 2018

BMS/Alway Saturn V Build, Part 24, Lower Body Roll Pattern Masks



The upper and lower vertical lines of the lower body mask are in line with each other.

Use an aluminum angle to join light pencil lines between the top and bottom roll patterns.

Here's the start of the lower body masks with marked clear Scotch tape.
The black area goes from the center of the low trapezoid shaped cut over the top of the second band from the bottom.

The other side of the vertical black area goes up from the center of the triangle mask over the fin fairing area.
TIP: Pull down the tip of the triangle fairing mask to be sure the end of the vertical mask is centered over the small cut outs. I'm glad I double checked, my first tape mask wasn't centered!




The inside angles on the upper roll patterns take some extra work.

I cut the tape corners at 45 degree angles. A small wedge of tape went over the top of the corner joint.


Here's the upper roll pattern after some cleaning up.
There was some black paint bleeding underneath where the tape went over thin bands.

I tend to pull up the tape before the paint has totally dried. It's easier to push back any paint bleeds while the paint is still pliable. You just have to be careful not to touch the sticky paint.
Note I said "push" back the paint line - scraping the paint could remove the white paint underneath.



This is the low end after the tape was pulled.

I did go back with a ultra fine point Sharpie down one mask line that wasn't as clean as I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment