Friday, July 27, 2018

Letter from N.A.R.


Wow, I wasn't expecting this!
Last year I wrote an article on how to "beef-up" the newer Estes Starter Igniters using Beacon Fabri-Tac glue and 4F Black Powder. 
I had used a igniter dip before but it continually dries out. You can thin it again by stirring in Acetone, but it is messy and takes a bit of work.
I have written a dozen articles for the Apogee Peak Of Flight newsletter, but Tim at Apogee didn't show an interest in this one. 

I knew the Sport Rocketry magazine offers N.A.R. membership for printed articles. I thought my article would have been too short (only 2 pages with plenty of pictures) to qualify.
Still, a great surprise and my NAR membership dues are good through January of 2020.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, Quick Dip pyrogen does dry out if not placed in an air tight container. And the plastic container supplied with their kit is definitely not airtight. If it's not hockey puck hard, you may be able to reconstitute it with more acetone. Otherwise it's not salvageable.
    Did you ever post your igniter formula here in the blog? I think a lot of your readers would be interested in that useful bit of information.
    BTW looks like the Q-Jet C and D engines are coming soon, according to shreadvector at TRF. They've been added to the Quest website, but when you add them to the cart it says not available. And I think I heard something about 29mm G Q-Jets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I gave up on the igniter dip after it dried hard as a rock! It didn't take that long for it to dry up.
      I will post the Estes igniter idea soon. It's not a formula, just a simple way to augment and make them more reliable. I haven't tested them in clusters.
      I just looked at the new C and D Q-jets on the Quest website. 29mm Q-Jets? I haven't heard about those.

      Delete
  2. Nice. Another score for Fabri-Tac glue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Yep, the Fabri-Tac glue has come in handy and works well with the igniter upgrade.

      Delete