Friday, October 25, 2019

Estes Little Joe 1, #7255, Build Part 1, Parts




I always thought it was a matter of time before Estes produced a Mercury Little Joe kit.
Here's the face card and parts in the bag from the back.

Here's the parts for the booster. All seem to be of high quality.


The red plastic parts are the capsule and tower.
The white parts are the new scale nozzles.





Some interesting parts, clockwise from the left:
All the centering rings. Notice the wheel spoke cutouts to keep the weight down.
The decals with the stenciled "UNITED STATES".
Multi-pieced balsa fin parts.
Card stock fin covers.
Laser cut card stock shroud.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this build.
    NOTE: The orange fin on the face card is incorrect. The orange color should be on the opposite side of the same fin and the orange you see should black in color. This is from seeing a video on UT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo,
      I'm aware of the black side of the fin. That was brought up by Peter Alway and James Duffy on TRF. I have the Mike Dorffler Mercury Little Joe DVD. One picture shows the black fin side.
      This is a build for Estes, I did ask about the black sided fin. Bill Stine said to paint it as shown in the instructions and face card.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I didn't realize this was a build for Estes. In that case building it to their specifications is the only way to go.
      I thought this build is for you personally and then you'd normally want to build as "scale" as possible, at least when it comes to the paint scheme.

      Delete
    3. Hi Leo,
      Yep, if it were me, I'd paint the one fin side black. I usually try to get the kits closer to scale but will usually paint my scale models with gloss paint. They stay cleaner that way. The two Saturn Vs (built for Estes) they requested flat paint.

      Delete
  2. Hi!:

    Definitely looking forward to this one too! (On my wish list!)

    ReplyDelete