Sunday, October 6, 2019

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., October 5, 2019

The Orlando R.O.C.K. club has gone through some changes. While we redistribute the launch duties everybody jumped in and helped out.
I met Roger at the launch site at about 8:30 a.m. He was dropping off the trailer with the launchers and club equipment. He has the Grand Kids at his house today. Jim ("More Power") and I set down cables and finally got the right things plugged in.
I assumed the RSO duties, not really knowing what to do. All were patient while I flipped switches and checked continuity. 22 people launched rockets today, only two models ended up in the trees.
I didn't get my normal amount of pictures today, I was busy with launch duties.

For Halloween I launched the BONES rocket the second time.
A better flight with an A10-3t and a small 8" parachute. Altitude was estimated at 225'.

The Semroc SNAKE JUMPER "Grownie" flew using a German made Quest B6-4 engine - the ones with the silver nozzle. Loud and smoky to 350'. The 12" chute brought it home without damage.

David Hoffman launched his clear bodied Estes Phantom. He has launched it before and simply wiped the soot out of the tube.
On the left is the model after it's first flight and brushing out the soot. On the right you can see the discoloration after today's launch. So far, it's staying clear -


Joanie and Blake joined us.
Here's Joanie's first rocket - the Estes Athena. She assembled it, prepped and pressed the launch button.








More clean flights - 
Skip Paret launched the Quest Harpoon with an Estes B6-4.
David Hoffman's Sputnik using a Estes C6-0




The Estes SOLO was a great surprise!

Straight boost to 250'. At ejection the ring glider separated and went into a flat glide! I love strange models that work as advertised. The glide duration was probably about 20 seconds.
While a C6-3 is the only recommended engine, today I used a B6-2, recommended in a post comment by 5X7. If a C motor were used in this field the glider would probably end up in the trees.
For a good change of pace, I recommend this model. With no pre-flight trimming, it glides very well. Only available at Hobby Lobby.
My other two launches were the Custom SLV with an A8-3. Textbook launch and recovery to 200'.

I had hoped to fly the small Semroc Sabre parasite glider aboard the Quest TOMAHAWK but the winds were coming up. I doubt I would get much of a glide in this wind.
The Tomahawk boosted with an Estes B6-4. There was some coning, probably due to the open intake hood on the bottom. Altitude was estimated at 325'. A spill-holed 12" Odd'l parachute brought it in close.

Five up, five recovered with no damage. It was warm, but not as hard to handle as the July launch.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!:

    Boy, I missed a great day! Should have made the drive! Looks like everyone had a good time! Maybe in November. . .
    Sincerely,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,
      It turned out to be a good day, a bit hectic for me, though. Hope to see you in November.

      Delete
    2. Good job Chris. It was a great launch day.

      Delete