Sunday, January 20, 2013

Launch! Tampa TTRA January 19, 2013


I had great success yesterday at the Tampa TTRA launch.
Nobody knew what to expect weather wise, we knew there would be wind. Throughout the day there were wind gusts, up to 20 m.p.h.

PIGASUS! flew well with a C6-5 under it's tail.
Perfect straight boost even with the wind.






That's Andy Green connecting up his Estes Argent for two flawless flights with G40 engines.



The first flight of the Quest AEROSPACE ONE.
(I know, it's being put together on the blog, but I build far ahead)

The 18mm mount was changed out for 24mm engines and 1/2 oz. of nose weight added.
I was nervous, with that much "wing" area I thought it might go horizontal into the wind.

A D12-5 was picked for the first flight. A second 12" parachute was clipped on.
Perfect boost, vertical with no roll. No damage on recovery.



The most impressive flight of the afternoon went to Brent Rubinow with his Cerebus. A beautiful build, reminiscent of the old NASA prototype drawings.
The Cerebus is a 3 engine parallel cluster with two Aerotech H250s outboards around a Cessoroni J360 skidmark.
Check out the inset picture - 

Amazing boost - lots of sparks from the Skidmark!



My SCAVENGER flew with an Estes E9-6.
This model has that champagne glass nose cone from the Dollar Tree store. Those should be on sale again through Valentine's Day. It fits the Quest 50mm tube.

My also flowns:
CD SPOOL with a C6-3.
Quest COBALT with a Quest A6-4

Roger Smith should be posting the launch and flight pictures soon!
Stop by rocketreviews.com go to "Features" and look under "photo albums".

4 comments:

  1. Due to illness I couldn't be there. Thank you very much for posting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    We were wondering where you were! Hope you feel better soon.
    Roger took some great launch shots, they should be posted on rocketreviews.com soon.
    See you down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a great time once again guys- Thanks for the great pic Chris. Was great seeing and talking with you.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, it was nice meeting you this weekend at the TTRA launch. When I looked up your blog that you listed on the card that you gave me, I realized that I have been here many times before, lurking around and learning some of your building techniques. Great Blog!

    And I have to agree, the Cerebus launch this weekend was definitely the highlight. At least for me!

    Billy (with the blue dripping Super Alpha)

    ReplyDelete