Friday, January 4, 2013

Letter from Nik Bergenske

Hi Chris,
I was feeling a little sentimental today after helping my son put together some space models - and it prompted me to google my dad's former business - Model Rocket Industries. I enjoyed reading your post and the details of your conversation with my dad are consistent with what I've heard when he's spoken of the 'good ol days.' I was in diapers around the time of the MRI/MPC transaction... I bought my son a small Quest kit a while back and Dad commented that the engines could have been made on his old machines ;) I would sure like to see quality hobbies like this gain more popularity these days and hope to encourage them more with my kids. Well, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the info about MRI and happy holidays.

Best regards,
Nik Bergenske
p.s. I noticed you are in FL also (i'm in Sarasota).
reference: http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-mri-mpc-and-avi-questions-answered.html

This picture shows Dianne and Myke Bergenske at NARAM 18, in Center Valley Pennsylvania, 1976 

Hi Nik,
Thanks for writing.
Last year I had a good conversation with your Dad and was surprised he remembered me!

Some of the first rockets I built were MRI kits.
I built a few AVI models for your Dad back in the 1970s. I understand they were used in some convention displays.
Your Father sent me many kits and a LOT of engines. Even after all these years, I still launch models using some of the remaining engines.
I finally met your Mom and Dad at the NARAM in Orlando back in 1975. I even have a picture of the them somewhere.

The original Quest engines were made in the USA using your Father's engine making machines.
Quest engines were then from Germany and more recently imported from China.
Not near the quality of your Dad’s rocket engines.
I understand those machines are now covered up, sitting in storage.

Thanks for stopping by the blog. Your Dad’s rockets and engines played a very important part in many lives!

All the best!
Chris Michielssen
www.oddlrockets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment