Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quest Cobalt Evil Twin - ORANGE!

I built a second Cobalt based model at the same time the stock kit was built.

This one is ORANGE.
I had an extra Quest nose cone and some 40mm body tube.
All is the same except for the body tube length. The Orange tube is 5" long, the Cobalt kit tube is 4".
That extra inch gave me the room for a small parachute. The extra length will also help with stability.

The kit decals were scanned and cleaned up a bit.
A font was picked that worked with the decor.

Notice the yellow areas on the decals.
When these were transferred onto the orange paint, the yellow was invisible!
Not a big deal, It all still works in just the black.


Originally it was going to be called "CORAL" but I didn't have the right color on the shelf. I did have a new can of orange.

Side by side you can see the Orange is slightly taller than the Cobalt.
It's only an inch, but that does give me the room for wadding and a small parachute.

3 comments:

  1. I see what you did there! Anyone who knows color theory knows the evil twin of a blue rocket should be orange. (I consider coral to be a little on the pinkish side)

    Maybe try the radioactive decals in purple instead of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,
    It really wasn't color theory, I had an extra can of orange paint. You are right, I should have done the radioactive in purple - next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoffery Dean JacksonFebruary 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM

    Hello again Chris;

    Great job on the Orange! Looks like it can handle a C6 no problem!

    (actually a Cobalt can handle a C6 motor with 12 grams of clay in the nose cone. Serious! I did this for my daughter's Cobalt, and it flies really fast and straight)

    ReplyDelete