Saturday, January 12, 2013

Quest Cobalt Build Part 2 Engine Mount Steps 1 - 6

I substituted a thicker ST-7 tube for the thin yellow engine mount tube supplied with the kit. The Quest centering rings are a tight fit on the ST-7 tube, so it took a little sanding for a slip fit.

Look close at the tube and you'll see a pencil mark at the center of the tube.
The start of the electrical tape wrap was centered on this line.

The centering rings aren't notched for the engine hook or Kevlar.

My rotary punch was used to cut a small notch for the front ring and a large round slot for the rear ring.

Another small half circle was punched to allow the Kevlar to slip through.



This is the finished mount.
The instructions would have you apply a glue ring on the engine mount tube then slide the rings in place.
It's easier to slide the rings in place, then apply glue fillets

On my mount, the Kevlar loop and square knot are pushed forward and against the forward centering ring.

In the Quest instructions,
The loop of Kevlar is set beneath the tape wrap!
If left this way, at ejection the Kevlar would be pulled forward, pulled hard against the forward ring.

Another point:
You are told to tie two overhand knots to secure the Kevlar.
Two overhand knots makes a "Granny" knot. This knot isn't secure and could slip when pulled.
You should tie a square knot, it won't slip.
For examples of the Square and Granny Knots go: HERE

6 comments:

  1. Ok. How many of us clicked thru and watched all the cool knot videos? Nice link Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vigilante,
    I actually got that link from a TRF post. I've got some posts coming up about knots - which ones to use on a screw eye. I've already changed the way I tie things off after going through those animated knots videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your upcoming posts. While I have your attention, do you ever take build requests?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all depends!
    I've had a request for the complicated new Estes kits, like the Cosmic Interceptor or Black Star Voyager. But, I'm not paying full retail for the models!
    I've got a large build pile (unbuilt kits) that I'm gradually going through.
    I have built models on the blog for clients. They send me a kit and pay for the build. The model is mailed to them unflown.
    Which model did you have an interest in? I may have it already and could do a build of it.
    Sometimes it depends on my whim or what I feel I need for my active flying fleet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if you could do the Estes Gyroc. I had one as a kid and could never get it to work right. I pretty much have all the parts to do a clone but am hesitant to try it. Got one in the pile?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vigilante,
    The Gyroc would be a good choice! I've got the parts somewhere. I've got some other builds ahead of it but I'll add it to the pile.

    ReplyDelete