Monday, January 28, 2013

New? MPC Rockets

Bob Sanford (Initiator001 on TRF) is the first to post about the new MPC rockets.
Here's his TRF post after assembling the Star Trek USS Reliant (shown here) - 

"The models are packaged in full color boxes with hang tabs which can be pulled out if the model is to be displayed on peg hooks. The 'traditional' MPC logo is found on the front of the box at the top.
These models are not RTF but rather like and Estes E2X or Quest Quick-Kit. Assembly time is listed as "Less Than One Hour".
The kits are pretty much all plastic. The body tubes are rolled sheets of plastic much like the 'Sky' models sold by Apogee. Body tube diameters are listed as 22mm, 35mm and 40mm.
I opened the 'Enterprise' model to look at the parts. The kit uses a twist ring like the Quest Quick-Kits to hold the motor in place. I was unable to get the ring to 'twist' after I inserted it into the fin can. I guess a little modification will be in order.
I will post more about these kits as I have time to build and fly them."

I checked the Apogee website and the MPC USS Reliant does look like the (Chinese imported) Sky East Wind kit. The plastic nose cone and fins are identical except for the colors.
The MPC Klingon is made from parts from the Sky Eagle kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment