Thursday, January 3, 2013

Rick Randols Golf Rocket

From Rick Randol (Bluegrass Rocket) on YORF:

"My brother is an avid (and good) golfer, as well as, a guy that doesn't need much in life. So, I thought what can I get him for Christmas. I decided to build him a Golf Rocket, whether it was something he needed or wanted. I didn't really take any build photos but, thought I'd share the finished rocket. I think it turned out pretty good.

I used a hollow plastic golf ball for the nose with a nose cone base added. Main body is 18" BT-50. BT-3 tubes for the club shafts cut to 15" length. I used electric tape cut in half strips to wrap around BT-3's for the grips. I cut poster board circles to glue on top of the BT-3's to cap them off, then painted them black. I searched the net for graphics of clubs and found the graphics of the Callaway. That gave we the shape for the fins, as well as, the graphics for the decals I made. I went to my laser cutting friend and had the fins cut from lite-ply. Glued the club tubes 3/4" from the bottom then glued the fins into the tubes.

After I sealed the fins I taped off everything to paint the chrome. Then I added the self-stick decals I made from images I found on the net. As a final touch I picked up a sample of grass carpet at the hardware store to put on top of a small rocket stand.

It was fun to build and my brother really appreciated it."

This is how theming and design should work together.
Everything is included, the golf ball nose cone even sits on a golf tee.
Down the body sides are scorecards. The grips look like the real thing.

Rick Randol runs New Way Space Models.
Visit the website HERE
Check out his classic and new designs - SQUARED!

No comments:

Post a Comment