Thursday, January 24, 2013

Quest Aerospace One Part 6 Step 13 - 14 Gluing The Spine

This model is a complex build and because I decided to paint the blue trim, a difficult mask.
Again, I should have thought ahead before gluing the spine in place.
The spine was lightly glued on and the fin edges sanded to better fit the angle of the joint.
After fitting the root edges I ended up cutting the spine off the body tube and glued the wings onto the spine without gluing the spine onto the body tube.



From the rear you can see the gap between the root edge of the left wing piece and the vertical spine.
Using a sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper the angle was sanded to fit the root edge against the spine.



This shows the fit of the left wing piece after sanding the root edge.
The wing piece on the right hasn't been sanded yet.


Both sides of the wing root edges have been sanded and have a good fit.

Get it a close as you can. I could have sanded more and tried to get a better fit, but I've learned to get it close and leave it be.
Sometimes you can sand off too much trying to get it just right.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with mine when it came time to glue those wings on. My solution wasw to use a Dremmel tool with the router table attachment. The 60 degree bit was the perfect angle for carving the root edge flush, and still left the root edge rough enough for good glue grip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lester,
    Good tip on the router table! Of course, I don't have one (wish I did) and had to use the sanding block.

    ReplyDelete